Wednesday, October 27, 2010


The Baroque period is one of the many interesting periods in the History of Architecture. Before Hannah and Lee lectured about the topic, I wasn’t really interested since me and my groupmate’s topic was way more modern than Baroque. I can say that after all these historical periods, I’ve gained appreciation of the importance of each more importantly on how the periods transist from one after another.

One of The Baroque and Rococo period’s highlight ornament or structure was the Solomonic Column. That was simply amazingly intricate.

SOLOMONIC COLUMN

I love the Stucco ornamentations on the walls, ceilings and other parts of the churches maybe because it was inspiring to see these ornaments. It makes me want to invest in learning sculpting too.

The Cangiante, Sfumato and Chiaroscuro were among the styles in painting at that time and without them we wouldn’t have as many rendering mediums today.

My favorite style was the Chiaroscuro. This painting was by Caravaggio, a champion of Chiaroscuro painting.

The Baldachinno was another structure that originated in this period. One word: Extravagant :>

BALDACHINNO OF THE ST. PETER'S BASILICA BY BERNINI

Filipino Catholicism inherited this period’s use of the Monstrance which I have seen in our local church.

Another thing was the Groto which is used in our Architecture.

Craftsmanship continues as the period’s sculptures of saints and iconologies pave their intricate churches.

ESTASI DE SANTA TERESA By Bernini


ST. FRANCIS-XAVIER CHURCH IN MEXICO

Intricate use of the Inverted Bell

Guilded furnitures and carvings like the Lion’s foot and the use of Granite became known in this period

LION'S FOOT

Shells were the main ornament in Rococo. I’ve actually seen one in UST K But I’m not really sure if its considered Rococo.

TREVI FOUNTAIN

My favorite Baroque fountain.


QUELUZ PALACE FOUNTAIN IN PORTUGAL

My Favorite Rococo Fountain :P

I’m not really a fan of Intricate designs because I prefer minimalism in spaces but I really love how they were able to produce functional art through craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger